Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My iPhone is kosher

I was playing with VoiceOver on my iPhone today. In case you're not familiar, VoiceOver is an accessibiliby feature on the iPhone that speaks text to you. It's a computerized, passionless, female voice that has problems pronouncing proper names, but it gets the job done. Kudos to Apple for its implementation.

As I was looking at the ESV Bible online in the iPhone's Safari web browser, I had VoiceOver read 2 Samuel 6. I noticed any time the text read "the LORD" (but with small caps; the Tetragrammaton), my iPhone consistently spoke, "God."

According to the ESV Preface:
God, the Maker of heaven and earth, introduced himself to the people of Israel with the special, personal name, whose consonants are YHWH (see Exodus 3:14-15). Scholars call this the “Tetragrammaton,” a Greek term referring to the four Hebrew letters YHWH. The exact pronunciation of YHWH is uncertain, because the Jewish people considered the personal name of God to be so holy that it should never be spoken aloud. Instead of reading the word YHWH, they would normally read the Hebrew word adonai (“Lord”), and the ancient translations into Greek, Syriac, and Aramaic also followed suit.
So, it appears my iPhone is following tradition by refusing to pronounce the name of the Most High. 

If you happen to have an Apple device that supports VoiceOver, I invite you to try it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage criticism, debate, and speaking the truth in love.